Windows 7 64 bit Dell Zino v XP 32 bit

Splodge 18:45 29 Apr 2010

I have had a Sony with Xp for a good few years. Oodles of programs all working well, no problems except it is getting tired and DVD-RW no longer works, the connectors are a bit fragile but still good.

I also back-up regularly to a 2nd HD and to an external. Just as well because i Will play where I should let things alone. All this time Acronis has been my saviour!

Now I have the Dell Inspiron ZinoHD which has Windows 7, 64 bit, and little by little I am copying programs and data across from one the externals.

I would like to make a full copy at the end of each session to one of the external drives but, looking at all the posts both here and elsewhere it seems that Acronis is slipping.

Has there been a good decision put forward about the best Hard Drive cloner answer without destroying all my transfers. Or, I have been a LITTLE tempted at the thought of copying the XP drive (32-bit) to the 64-bit Zeno and accept that some of the programs might not work.

Help would be much appreciated!!!

Splodge 09:20 30 Apr 2010

This is a first for my queries. No response!

Cutting it short then, what do members recommend as the back-up of a complete system running Windows 7 in the knowledge that Acronis 2010 appears to have severe problems?

retep888 12:38 30 Apr 2010

<<Or, I have been a LITTLE tempted at the thought of copying the XP drive (32-bit) to the 64-bit Zeno and accept that some of the programs might not work.>>

I think you're asking for trouble. :-)

<< the back-up of a complete system running Windows 7 in the knowledge that Acronis 2010 appears to have severe problems?>>

I didn't come across any problem using ATI 2010 Home(Trial version) on Win7 (32/64 bit).

Because I'm using SSD Raid system and need to secure erase/reformat the SSD HDD on a timely basis in order to maintain the peak performance,as a result a good Image program is a must.

Among the tested Image programs either paid for version ATI2010 click here or free versions Paragon click here, Easeus click here all worked very well.

But I finally settled down with Win7's own built-in system backup image tool because I found it the simplest & most straight forward although some people might find its performance is slow.
(which isn't an issue if you have a highend PC)

Splodge 14:21 30 Apr 2010

Thanks retep888!

I have been trying the Paragon free backup but ... it took an awful long time (over 2 hours) equal to the normal Acronis time but then started to do a similar thing again. The prime progress bar ended but the secondary progress bar was not half
way through. I terminated it and the backup drive does look like it copied everything.

So, I shall take your pointers and links and try those.

Again thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?