Windows 7 - 64 bit 0r 32 bit?

Cloudhopper 12:41 26 Jun 2010

Hello,

I'm in the process of deciding what PC to buy and have run into an interesting conundrum on Windows 7 options.

I have read an article which suggests the enhanced capabilites attached to using a 64 bit operating system are tempered by a number of factors:

ONE
Internet browsing could be compromised because Adobe Flash isn't yet 64 bit compatible.

TWO
Issues with the compatibility of peripheral devices

THREE
Browser compatibility issues (e.g. Chrome, Firefox and Opera)

I am a user who does not need the benfits of 64 bit. I am a heavy PC user but am not a gamer or user of very high specification computer software.

The final part of the conundrum is that on balance I think I'd prefer to go with the 32 bit version of Windows 7 (so I can be confident of using all the software and apps I do now with an uniterupted browsing experience) yet it looks as if most of the retailers I would trust with my custom will only retail Windows 7 operating systems.

I'd be interested and grateful to hear any thoughts and recommendations.

chub_tor 12:51 26 Jun 2010

I switched from 32 bit to 64 bit to take full advantage of my RAM, I have yet to see a problem with Flash on any website, I have not had any compatibility problems with any of my peripherals (quite the contrary as some of my USB pen-drives that did not install correctly on 32 bit work perfectly on 64 bit) and I have not seen any compatibility issues with Chrome or Firefox - I don't use Opera so can't comment.

Subjectively my PC with 64 bit Windows7 seems to boot faster and perform faster than a fairly similar machine with 32 bit. I wouldn't go back.

john bunyan 12:53 26 Jun 2010

I agree with chub_tor.

Cloudhopper 13:00 26 Jun 2010

Thanks folks (Chub_tor and John),

I noticed a mistake in my original post - it should have said retailers I trust will only sell the Windows 7 64 bit (when a 32 bit version is available).

I must admit the replies I've heard so far have begun to sway my opinion so I'm really interested to hear from others.

northumbria61 13:20 26 Jun 2010

I agree with ALL the previous comments - I have been using Win 7 Pro 64 bit since it was released in Oct. 2009 - No problems !

Miké 15:44 26 Jun 2010

I have had Windows 7 64bit (Home Premium) since the release and have had no problems. with regard to the non availability of a flash plugin for 64bit browsers, just use the 32bit version of IE Firefox etc.

kdt 23:11 26 Jun 2010

w7 pro 64 bit with 6 gb RAM quite good. using for the past 6 months.

VoG II 00:33 27 Jun 2010

W7 64 bit pro running for about a month. The only issue I had was registering a 32 bit calendar control for MS Office 2020 but sorted that today. Woo hoo!

morddwyd 06:53 27 Jun 2010

Use 64 bit on three computers with no problems.

Do a search on this and the Win 7 forum. Plenty of views, most generally in favour.

birdface 08:32 27 Jun 2010

When W/7 came out you could use both versions if using them on the same computer.
Not sure if that has changed or not since.

chub_tor 10:30 27 Jun 2010

MS Office 2020 Woo hoo! You are ten years ahead of the rest of us.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017