Windows 7

leadwellie 10:32 13 Nov 2009

I am wanting to install windows 7 on my PC which is currently running XP home edition. The problem is I am getting conflicting advice on what package to get some say I should go for the upgrade option and carry out a custom install others say I should go for the full home premium package and carry out a custom install from that. Is anyone out there able to help me?. I have used the forum before and will take on board the advice you give me.
Many thanks in advance.
leadwellie.

gazzaho 13:28 13 Nov 2009

The only difference as far as I'm aware, apart from price, between the Full and Upgrade versions is that the full version is meant for installation to a clean hard drive and the upgrade is designed to be installed to a drive with an OS XP or Vista already installed.

Either way you are limited to a custom install with XP so make sure you run the upgrade advisor and have all your personal data backed up before upgrading. One thing worth mentioning is that the upgrade advisor might state that your graphics adaptor cannot run AERO if your card is reasonably powerful this may be an error with the advisor, just ignore it, some other people on these forums including myself got the warning when running it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017