Windows 7 32 bit and 64bit

Allan RISC OS user 16:26 29 Dec 2009

I have upgraded my HP Pavilion to Windows 7, 32 bit and I am quite pleased with the results. Spec is 1GB RAM and AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (2.0Ghz),Gforce FX5500 256MB and 2 250GB harddrives.
All my programmes etc., are running okay and the HP PSC 1350 is also fine.

I am now thinking that I would like a new Laptop, which will also be running Windows 7 but the 64bit version. Will I be disappointed and find that the soft/hardware will not run and I will have to buy all it all again? It is all 32bit.

jamesd1981 17:08 29 Dec 2009

most of your programmes should work fine although ive found quite a few pieces of my hardware had problems with 64 bit win 7 i have home premium but if you buy the pro version or above you get xp compatability mode which should help.

GaT7 17:10 29 Dec 2009

The HP PSC 1350 has Win7 64-bit drivers click here, so it should work fine with your laptop.

What programs & other hardware do you have/use that you think may not work? For a start you can carry out related searches at the Win7 compatibility site click here.

Provide a list of the software that's not present in the above list, & if they are free (or I happen to have them), am willing to try them out on my spare PC running Win7 RC 64-bit.

There's also a helpful list that some PCA members have been compiling: 'Stuff thats works with Windows 7 64 bit' click here, that you can cross-check with.

There may be ways of getting round incompatibility issues - e.g. Compatibility Mode & XP Mode (latter needs Win7 Pro or above, & a CPU capable of hardware virtualisation). G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)