Windows

yahwob 10:50 12 Feb 2007

Hi,

Over the weekend I attempted to start using a PC that I had put away 6 months ago when I got my new PC. I started it up and was greeted by a blue screen, which stated that windows had to be activated before I could start using it.

I went through the instructions and managed to get it activated by entering the key code from the machine. Then had to restart and the same message came up, “You have to activate Windows”. So back to square one only this time when I started the reactivation sequence it said the windows activation period had expired and I would have to do it by phone!

To my surprise I must admit the phone system worked quite well and I went through the instructions and entered the code they gave me and I got a message saying windows had been activated and everything was great, until I restarted the PC and when it came back up I got the message you must activate windows! However my hopes were initially raised because when I said OK the screen said windows had already been activated and all I had to do was push the ok button. Of course I push the button and I go straight back to the started up screen and the pc tells me it’s shutting down!

So the bottom line is I can’t get windows going at all, the machine seems to recognise that windows has been activated but it shuts down every time I push the OK button. The internet is working fine on the machine although I have to wait for a pop up to appear because I have no icons at all on the screen or even the start button, as I have no windows!

As I can at least get the machine started do you think a reinstall would work? I’m slightly dubious about that because of the message I got saying my windows activation period had expired, i.e. if I reinstall and enter my windows key will it accept it?

Thanks for the help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:56 12 Feb 2007
  yahwob 11:00 12 Feb 2007

Thanks but I have no icons at all on the desktop, no Start button etc, that page is referring to using the start button, back button etc but I have no buttons!

All I have is a blank screen, nothing else apart from the windows activation box which only gives me the option to push "Ok" and that's it.

birdface 11:21 12 Feb 2007

Can you go into safe mode and run last good configuration.Or will it not work in safe mode either.

birdface 11:28 12 Feb 2007

If you have an XP disc.You can do a repair on your computer,And I dont think you have to re activate key code,But I would wait till someone agrees with me or not before you try.

VoG II 11:30 12 Feb 2007

Yes I agree and I don't think that you've got anything to lose click here

yahwob 13:07 12 Feb 2007

Ok guys, thanks for your help, I'll try the repair job tonight.

yahwob 08:42 13 Feb 2007

Ok thanks guys, I tried repairing but I got an error message saying part of my xp disc was corrupt so in the end I just completely reinstalled windows which worked :)

Next question now lol, the reason I stopped using this pc in the first place was because the graphics card was broken. Can anyone recommend a decent new graphics card, I don't need a top of the range job, just something that will handle most things reasonably well, I don't play the latest games apart from maybe the odd round of Tiger Woods Golf which would be nice if the new card could handle.

Not sure what info you need but the PC is a AMD Athlon XP 2800+ with a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe nVidia nForce2 mother board. The old card was a 128mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. if I could get at least the same sort of performace from the new card it would be great.

Oh and if someone could post a link to a handy guide to replacing graphics card that would be even better lol.

Many thanks

Taff™ 09:10 13 Feb 2007

Replacing Graphics Card click here

Suggest you simply find a comparable card to previous if that worked OK.

yahwob 09:32 13 Feb 2007

Thanks for that, but can anyone tell me which "sort" of card to get, I know there's different ones for different sockets etc and I don't want to buy the wrong type.

Thanks

bennyhillslovechild 09:40 13 Feb 2007

That Asus motherboard uses an AGP socket for it's graphics card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?