Windows 2000 wont startup!!??

rich549 14:21 04 Mar 2005

hi,

yesterday i got a virus on my laptop running windows 2000 profesional, it stated that c:\winnt\system32\services.exe had performed an error at code 180 and windows would close in 60 seconds. After looking in a forum on the internet i was advised to delete the file. i did this and now windows cant load without the services.exe file. Does anyone know wher ei can get a copy of this file from as i no longer have my installation cd and i never got round to making back-up disks etc.

thanks for ya help.

RealDopey 14:36 04 Mar 2005

Boot from your windows CD and then follow the repair procedure

Brollah 14:41 04 Mar 2005

you made the mistake of deleting the file. If I remember correctly that's the blaster worm, the big one that hit almost everyone a few years back. a simple removal tool would have solved it.

You'll have to get hold of a replacement disk, bootdisk.com might be able to help you.

rich549 22:08 04 Mar 2005

hey i got windows starting up again, i managed to get into dos and find that win 2000 had created a new version of services.exe in a different place lol so its all good again.

Ive tried a blaster worm removal tool from symantec and that told me i didnt have the virus so im stumped.

thanks for everyones help....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie