Windows 2000 upgrade to Win XP

iscanut 20:43 23 Jul 2006

I am about to acquire for free a laptop with Windows 2000 + latest Service Pack. Will the Win XP Home SP2 upgrade install over this old Windows version without any problems ?

iscanut 20:48 23 Jul 2006

PS..I am not sure if it Win 2000 Professional, but if it is, I realise that I can only upgrade to Win XP Pro. Is this assumption correct ?

ed-0 20:56 23 Jul 2006

So long as the cpu and ammount of memroy are up the mark. Then yes.

The next bit will depend on what type of XP disk you use.

If you use a OEM disk, you must format the laptop.

If you use an upgrade or retail XP disk. You can load to the windows 2000 screen and insert the XP disk. You will get a drop down box to ask if you want an upgrade or full installation. Pick full installation.

Or you can just oot from cdrom as normal.

Apart from that, it's fairly easy.

This guide should help. click here

iscanut 17:36 24 Jul 2006

Thank ed-0..

If I buy the full retail version, will this overwrite the previous OS abd if so, I presume that I can install XO Home rather than the Prof version, (which is the only upgrade version that I could install if it is Win 2000 Pro that is on the laptop )

Fingees 19:09 24 Jul 2006

If you want to upgrade, provided you have the win 2000 disk to insert at the prompt, you can use a xp home upgrade with no problem. It's of course a lot cheaper than a full version. You can do a clean install if you wish. It only wants the 2000 disk to check that you are entitled to use an upgrade type of disk. nothing else is different from the full copy.

ed-0 22:45 24 Jul 2006

If you want a clean install of XP, choose a OEM disk. for £58 click here

If you want to use an upgrade disk, that would mean you need to keep the windows 2000 installation disk. £80 click here

If you want the full retail boxed version, then you are looking at £130 click here

" If I buy the full retail version, will this overwrite the previous OS abd if so, I presume that I can install XO Home rather than the Prof version "

Any version of XP will do this for you, even the oem version.

For full value for money, upgrade might be the best bet. With OEM windows, it is supposed to stay with that computer for the rest of it's life, but you can, er, get around it. The hard drive will be formatted and every thing on the "C" drive would be wiped.

With the upgrade version, if in the future the laptop dies. You can re activte windows on another computer.

Obviously the expensive retail copy, lets you do this all. You can dual boot 2000 with XP. So you could use both operating systems.

Ray5776 22:52 24 Jul 2006

I am about to acquire for free a laptop with Windows 2000 + latest Service Pack. Will the Win XP Home SP2 upgrade install over this old Windows version without any problems ?

Yes it will, I have done this no probs at all.

iscanut 22:56 24 Jul 2006

Thanks all...Will see how Win 2000 suits me before deciding to upgrade if at all. My home computer on which I am typing this has Win XP and the laptop will be used by my wife mainly for Internet & email, so may leave things as they are for time being.

Ray5776 23:09 24 Jul 2006

If you have the Win2000 pro version its very good, sometimes best to stick with the devil you know.

Ray5776 23:15 24 Jul 2006

I still use it on occasions, one of the best OS microsoft have made.
I only switched to XP when they finally sorted most of the probs about 2yrs.
God help the Vista lemmings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?