WINDOWS 2000 SERVER INSTALLATION

KOGA 15:07 12 Feb 2004

PLEASE HOW DO I GO ABOUT INSTALLING WINDOWS 2000 SERVER SOFTWARE ON AN OLD COMPUTER.

THANKS

KOGA

ventanas 16:10 12 Feb 2004

True, but you need to know quite a bit about what you want to do before you even start just to answer the prompts you will get.

I have a book that devotes more than 700 pages just to installing and configuring W2k Server. It is not a simple task. Unless you want to use it as a standalone O/S, which is a bit of an overkill.

temp003 03:51 13 Feb 2004

Agree with ventanas.

But anyway, click here for a step by step guide with screenshots.

The text setup part of the installation process is the same as w2k professional, xp home and pro. The gui setup part is still the same, until you get more options for selecting components to install and configuring the domain/network.

If you don't know the details of the network and what components you want installed, just take the default options. After the restarts, and before you finally load w2k server, you can pick "Configure this server later".

Then get help from others on this forum who use the OS day in day out.

recap 10:01 13 Feb 2004

Firstly check to see if your system has the necessary resources to run W2K server?

Installing W2K server is not something that you would do as an everyday occurance.

You can install W2K server by going to Start/Run and typing in DCPROMO as ßéLâ has said.

I would recommend that you either look at doing a few courses on the subject or, start reading some books on the subject.

If you go the book route one that I can recommend is `Windows 2000 Server` by Mark Minasi, Published by Sybex.

The following may be of some help to you?

click here

click here

click here

ventanas 10:09 13 Feb 2004

That's the book I've got. A truly riveting read.
Especially when you've had it in front of you for more than six months, as I did before even attempting an install on a test machine.

recap 13:41 13 Feb 2004

ventanas, an excellent publication, I have others published by Sybex and all are easy to understand.

ventanas 13:52 13 Feb 2004

recap, well it sure got me sorted,eventually. Domain's been working with Win2K now for more than 18 months, so I must have done something right.

I have other Sybex books as well. As you say all excellant.

recap 15:33 13 Feb 2004

I have my trusty Sybex book at my side now ventanas, while I configure a new server for our centre.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?