Windows 2000 Server

Sgt. Pepper 19:22 31 Oct 2003

I have recently changed one of my old PC into a server type of system and am currently using Windows 2000 server, I was wondering if anyone had any information on server system and subdirectories such as WINNT folder, Program Files, documents and setting folder. Im not to sure what these folders are used for.

I would be thankful if anyone can help.

spikeychris 19:25 31 Oct 2003

Sgt. Pepper, would you mind running that one again..

Sgt. Pepper 19:31 31 Oct 2003

Sorry I havent made that to clear, Im basicaly trying to find out information on certain files and folders such as WINNT, documents and setting and program files which can be found when i double click on my C: drive.

I am trying to find out what these files and folders are used for ?

spikeychris 19:36 31 Oct 2003

Are you running a network with 2K server? are you using active directory?

Sgt. Pepper 19:46 31 Oct 2003

I havent set my network up as yet. Im basically trying to gather as much information on the software as I can before using it properly.

spikeychris 19:57 31 Oct 2003

Well WINIT (Windows NT...new tech) controls all the NT uses of 2K server. An example would be C:\winnt\csc, which is Client Side Cache, this folder holds the files from other computers on your future
network so that they can be worked on when you are not connected to the
network. You can view the files and set the properties in Control
panel/Folder options on the Offline files tab.

You will find lots of extras in Prog/Amin things called snap-ons, which add control to your soon to be network.

Documents and setting are NT'S equivalent of My documents.

Spend a large part of my life (as others here do) infront of a 2K server screen so post any questions regarding here.

Chris

spikeychris 20:06 31 Oct 2003

Re: the above The offline cache is located at %SystemRoot%\csc but it can be moved using Cachemov.exe. Run a search for it...2K server is MASSIVE and with the add ons and service packs you have some work to do. ;o)

Sgt. Pepper 20:08 31 Oct 2003

Thanks for your time chris, Im new to 2000 server and Im basically trying to gather some info on the software. Im sure I will be spending a lot of time using it this year as Im studying Computer Networking at college and its the software we are using quite a lot of at the moment.

If I have any furhter question I will post them on

cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017