Windows 2000 professional password removal

nickandgaz 15:15 05 Feb 2007

Hi there, can anyone help. My 7 year old decided to issue a password onto our home computer only problem is he says he can't remember what it was so we can't use the computer.
Does anyone know of a way to remove this password?
Thanks
Nic

VoG II 15:39 05 Feb 2007
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:29 07 Feb 2007

Windows2k/XP
Try this:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD ,

2- press enter to start setup ,

3- press F8 for the license agreement ,

4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so ,

5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then

press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering

components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. ,

6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000. ,

7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. ,

8- let the inplace upgrade finish.

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall the programs like in a parallel install.

Design Print Studio 11:14 19 Feb 2007

When you get this sorted I suggest having a different user account for each family household member.

computerboy 12:00 19 Feb 2007

try login on as administrator

nickandgaz 14:01 19 Feb 2007

I have tried booting up from the cd by going into advanced setup but it doesn't seem to want to read the cd drive!
How do I log in as the administrator?
Thanks for the help to everyone that has replied to my question.

beeuuem 22:05 19 Feb 2007

Try Booting into safe mode - pressing F8 at start up - and logging into the Administrators account.
Unless you set a password this will be blank, just press Enter.
You can then reset or remove the password.

1. Click Start, point to Programs, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
2. Expand the Local Users And Groups object under System Tools, and then click the Users folder.
3. In the right pane, right-click the appropriate user object, and then click Set Password.
4. Type the appropriate password, and then click OK.
5. Click OK to acknowledge that the password change succeeded.

computerboy 13:07 29 Mar 2007

did you fix the problem

nickandgaz 13:46 31 Mar 2007

We have tried several suggestions and these have failed to work.
Does anyone know how we get to a DOS prompt so that we can delete Windows 2000 professional and start again?
If we try to boot up it always loads Windows without giving the option to get to a DOS prompt.
If anyone can help me I would be really grateful.
Thanks

MichelleC 10:08 01 Apr 2007

Can you not boot from w2k disc and format and reinstall?

brundle 17:06 01 Apr 2007

bootable floppy password reset; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?