Windows 2000 pro start-up

23790954 22:02 14 Mar 2004

I am still using Win 98SE, but wouild like to upgrade to windows 2000 pro, having purchased the necessary c.d. etc. However the reason I do not upgrade to windows 2000, is the start-up series on this operating system. e.g. the system checks the hard drive on start up, which I do not mind, but then you have to enter your username and password, which I find adds extra time, which I would prefer to do without. Does anyone know if it is possible to completely delete or remove the box in which you are asked to put your username and password, on the start-up series on this operating system. Thanks for any help.

Diodorus Siculus 22:07 14 Mar 2004

You don't need to enter a password / username.

There is an option to start up with neither.

temp003 09:50 15 Mar 2004

After the installation of w2k is complete, computer will restart into Windows. Just before w2k loads for the 1st time, there is a prompt for you to configure how you connect to the network or something (even though it's just one computer). Click Next, and you will get asked how you want to log in.

The default suggestion is in fact to assume that the computer will be logged on with a particular account and password. The default name for the account is your own name which you keyed in earlier during installation. You can use that name, or another name. You should also put in a password (you can use the same password for the Administrator account created earlier in the installation process - it's up to you).

Once you do that, every time you turn on computer, it will load into the selected account without prompting you for account and password. This can be changed later if you want, in Control Panel, Users and Passwords.

temp003 10:00 15 Mar 2004

If you're concerned about startup time and that sort of thing, w2k does not have msconfig, if you're used to using it.

If you don't already have your own favourite startup manager, you can try Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel from click here which is better than the startup tab in msconfig anyway.

You can also use XP's msconfig.exe file which works perfectly in w2k. It has a couple of other useful tabs which may be useful in w2k. click here and the link to the download for XP's msconfig is the word "Here" just underneath the screenshot. Copy the unzipped msconfig.exe file to the system or system32 folder in the Windows directory (either c:\WINDOWS or c:\WINNT - depending on whether you upgrade from 98 or do a format and clean install.) Then you can use it from the Run box as before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone