Windows 2000 Pro network printer problems...

Gaz W 20:00 28 May 2003

I have a Windows 2000 Server and a few workstations, running a combination of Windows XP Pro and 2000 Pro. There is a HP Deskjet 940c printer connected to a Windows XP workstation, but it appears that users logged on using computers other than the one it is installed on have to be logged on as Administrator, otherwise there is no printer installed, and it cannot be detected/installed, mainly because the users don't have the rights to install it!

The printer is not connected to the server because it has to be located far away and is obviously not a network printer.

How do I install the printer so that it is accessible to all users?

eccomputers 20:41 28 May 2003

What procedure did you use to share the printer on the XP machine?

Gaz W 20:56 28 May 2003

As far as I can remember, after installing the printer I just shared it by going to Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes, right-clicked the printer and selected Sharing. I checked the box saying "List in the Directory", and the printer does appear in the directory, but when I try to install it logged on as any other user than Administrator, it says it's not available.

Gaz W 21:57 28 May 2003

Should I have done it a different way?

Gaz W 22:51 28 May 2003

refresh

Gaz W 10:55 29 May 2003

Anyone got any ideas?

Gaz W 11:00 29 May 2003

I seem to have sorted it out. The Add Printer thing on the client PC doesn't work properly - it says it can't connect to the printer. I navigated to the computer the printer is on in My Network Places and it asked me to install it, which I did, and now it works!

Gaz W 11:01 29 May 2003

Thanks eccomputers for your help anyway.

AndySD 11:04 29 May 2003

Open Printers and Faxes.

Right-click the printer for which you want to change or remove permissions, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

Click the name of the user or group whose permissions you want to change or remove.

In Permissions, click the Allow or Deny check box for each permission you want to allow or deny, if necessary. Or, to remove the user or group from the permissions list, click Remove.

To view or change the underlying permissions that make up Print, Manage Printers, and Manage Documents, click Advanced.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?