windows 2000 password

stubrow 18:26 24 Jan 2007

A friend gave me an old toshiba tecra 8000 laptop which i successfully updated from windows 98 to 2000 pro. but now it is asking for a logon username & password of which i have no idea any help appreciated.

brundle 18:27 24 Jan 2007

Just press return both times, or use
Administrator and blank password

stubrow 18:38 24 Jan 2007

I neglected to say there is a username that appears which my friend recognises but we have no idea of the password

brundle 18:40 24 Jan 2007

reset all passwords with this
click here

stubrow 18:51 24 Jan 2007

Thanks for your help brundle but i will ask is there any way i can get pass this by using my windows 2000 os disc and if so how do i get this laptop to boot from the disc

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:23 24 Jan 2007

Windows2k/XP
Try this:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD ,

2- press enter to start setup ,

3- press F8 for the license agreement ,

4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so ,

5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then

press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering

components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. ,

6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000. ,

7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. ,

8- let the inplace upgrade finish.

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall the programs like in a parallel install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?