windows 2000 and ntl dial-up

Smiler 19:30 25 Sep 2003

My brothers just bought a new computer with win 2000 installed. Tried to load ntl dial up using cd but message comes up "gearbox can't run on windows nt". I've tried the cd on my laptop running windows xp and get the same message. So how does he get connected please.

wildrover 20:50 25 Sep 2003

"Gearbox is an internet connections management program that sits in the background of your computers operating system. Gearbox allows you to add, change and manage your internet connections." click here
However, Windows 2000 is not supported click here for dial up!

Smiler 09:28 26 Sep 2003

Thanks wildrover but this doesn't tell me how to connect to internet in win 2000

MichelleC 09:40 26 Sep 2003

I'm on w2k and got a dialup modem from The Computer World for £10 which works well.(?)

wildrover 10:25 26 Sep 2003

Are you looking for an ISP which works with an NTL phone line and / or an ISP which supports win 2000?

Smiler 12:42 26 Sep 2003

Already has an account with ntl but as I said he has now changed his comp and this has windows 2000 insatlled so how does he get his account running?

wildrover 12:59 26 Sep 2003

As far as I know, he can't get a dial-up ntl account running in windows 2000 (see the above link which says:

"To access ntl:home Dial up Internet service on your PC, you will need at least the following...
Windows(tm) 95/98/ME/XP* Home Edition
Pentium 166 processor
32 MB RAM
150 MB free hard disk space
28.8k modem
800x600 screen resolution
*Windows 2000 and NT are not supported"

The best option, I guess, is to set up a different account with a different providor. But if you are using a ntl phone line you will need to ensure that both the phone line and win 2000 can be used. Onetel click here have a 1p per minute option for ntl phone users (I use it as my "back up" account) but not an unlimited dial up account. There are probably better ones around.

wildrover 13:19 26 Sep 2003

I am assuming that "not supported" means 'can't use' rather than 'don't provide technical assistance'!?

sdf 13:32 26 Sep 2003

you can use ntl dial up on win 2k. you'll have to manually configure it though. its quite easy, all you need is your user name, password, and the dial up number. I (pre-broadband) had been using it for ages

A15 13:33 26 Sep 2003

You can access NTL through Windows 2000, I have done it! You just can't use Gearbox, which I do not find a loss anyway, I found it more trouble than it was worth.

You have to set up the dial-up connection manualy under settings, network connections, set up a new connection. Then specify dial-up & manually input the information such Primary DNS Etc. It goes without saying of course that you have to have the modem installed & all drivers in place before doing this. If I can still find the manual settings I have I will post them for you.

A15 13:35 26 Sep 2003

Further to my previous post click here for the NTL World settings. Good luck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?