Windows 2000 /new hardware

DEZIBOY 10:51 05 Jul 2004

PROBLEM STARTING WINDOWS 2000 FOLLOWING ADDITION OF NEW CD REWRITER

Diodorus Siculus 10:53 05 Jul 2004

What is the problem? Will the machine start? Does it detect the hardware? What happens?

Diodorus Siculus 11:11 05 Jul 2004

Following reassembly and reconnection of all leads, PC powers up. Hard drive light full on Old CD rom dive light full on, New CD rewriter dive performs as normal on start up, Monitor goes into self test mode ( self test indicated on monitor screen).

Please respond here; that way others can offer suggestions.

Are master / slave jumpers correct?

DEZIBOY 11:15 05 Jul 2004

Yes? Master for CD rewriter and Slave for cd rom drive, connected to secondary IDE port

hillybilly 11:21 05 Jul 2004

Tried re seating the graphics card, just in case it was disturbed.

DEZIBOY 16:02 05 Jul 2004

Thanks I will try that along with some other suggestions from IT collegues at work.

DEZIBOY 09:21 06 Jul 2004

Thanks everybody for your help. I resolved my problem by replacing the old CD-ROM drive and making sure that the Data Cable was fitted the correct way round. However, following restarting the machine, I found that the CD-Rewriter had not been recognised by the PC. Can anybody help?

hillybilly 20:01 06 Jul 2004

If you have swapped a drive, did you check on the master an slave settings? reading your last post just check all your settings an connections again. Often when things have gone wrong an I have started shoving things in an out I have ended up with 2 masters or 2 slaves! silly billy!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone