Windows 2000 - "lost domain"

Diemmess 18:05 12 Jan 2006

Daughter and grandsons share a computer which using HyperOS allows each his/her own computer, on separate drives.
Mother's 'computer' has gone walkabout during her recent holiday!

She tells me that on attempting to boot, there is a long delay and then a notice "The system cannot log on because the Domain "XXXX" is not available."(complete with exclamation mark)
"OK" the only option -
Another pause and then log on 'ABC' ... and a request for the password.
Since no password was set, merely pressing Enter gives a wrong password reply.

The lads can each boot as usual.
I have tried 'restore to a previous working system' without success and could overwrite with an oldish image, but meanwhile there are a lot of photos gone walkabout.
I will pay a 'sick visit' tomorrow and see what I can do, but if anyone can advise how to make this thing boot normally, it would save a lot of bovver!

Diemmess 22:44 12 Jan 2006

What do I lose if I try auto repair from the 2K CD?

VoG II 22:47 12 Jan 2006

I'm not sure but if you find a solution please post it to click here

Good luck!

Diemmess 07:59 13 Jan 2006

^^
Any ideas anyone?
Will try Safe mode and then what - "sfc" or something else?

Diemmess 12:41 13 Jan 2006

How did my morning go?
Tried safe mode and safe mode with command prompt. Could have grown (even) older waiting for something to happen. The computer stalled just before the desktop was due.

Tried variations on repair with the 2000 disk in the slot, mistaking the lead in to a "recovery disk" before going through an appallingly long winded emergency repair procedure. Looked promising until the desktop was due and then slung the same no domain/password stopper at me!

Had already rescued all data to a safe place and so restored an October 05 image. By the time that was polished and updated, I had spent a total of 3rs and there's still a new image to create and doubtless temporary files all over the place to be deleted first.
Fortunately her "Drive" doesn't have the bulk of mine, but the CPU is slower and she only has 512 RAM, so Aol took its time to go active for various purposes.

I wont green tick this because the original problem lies unresolved

If only she had made a weekly backup .........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?