Windows 2000 - Dell Laptop 6+ years old

Diemmess 14:41 29 Jul 2013

A friend has dug this old laptop out of retirement while his regular one is away being sorted.

Being a Dell do you press F8 repeatedly to reach the safe mode and other important stages?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:56 29 Jul 2013

2000 is very much like xp, so f8 should take you to advanced menu.

Diemmess 15:04 29 Jul 2013

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\

This chap only asks me when other help is not available I think he gets a disk error on booting only to have a reboot when he does anything.

The thot plickens!

Diemmess 18:27 29 Jul 2013

Update

He can get into BIOS but I don't understand what he is seeing. Note he now says it is XP which is installed.

Would a duff cmos battery stop him loading XP?

The device boot order starts with internal HD and I hope that if he asks me to visit I can put a cd as first boot device and see where that takes him.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:49 29 Jul 2013

he gets a disk error on booting

duff cmos battery may cause it not to see HD but possible that HD has seize through non use

I would try remove reseat HD to remake contacts and retry. That disk error sounds terminal as would not be worth fitting a new drive (IDE very small BIOS may not take a large drive) in a machine that old.

woodchip 21:34 29 Jul 2013

yes bios battery will need replacing, when booting go into bios and set the time and date save settings then reboot

lotvic 22:03 29 Jul 2013

Hey, not so much of the 'old' if you don't mind... I'm still using my 7 year old xp dell dimension desktop on a daily basis. Have a 1TB sata HD and another HD with Retail W7 on it (I swap between the two) (I expect comment from rdave13 any time now.. ;-D )

You'll prob find drivers and a service manual etc for the 'old' laptop on Dell support If you want copy of dell xp to reinstall PM me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017