Windows 200 Blue Screen after Internet Explorer Do

Paisley 13:12 14 Feb 2005

I downloaded an update from Microsoft for Internet Explorer 6 and all seemed ok, the next time I used my pc I got a blue screen with a message asking me to start in safe mode, I tried but the option for safe mode is not working. I am assuming that there must be a problem with the update I downloaded but have no clue how to fix this as I cannot get past the Blue screen. Any ideas?

MichelleC 13:32 14 Feb 2005

Try a repair of w2k:

With the cdrom booting up you select 'install', then you will be prompted to enter the repair console in the next screen. Do not enter the repair console here but continue on by selecting 'install' again. Then you should be presented with the listed operating systems on your pc. This should give you the option to repair those installations. This way it will rewrite over the entire operating system but will leave your installed programs intact. The only difference I have seen using this method is that it wipes out every windows update..

pk470 13:43 14 Feb 2005

Have you downloaded sevice pack4?? i can't say i have had any updates of late for windows2000 i think the total updates are around 70mb very large
and quite a time to install them.
Did you have any errors showing? i found if you have a USB hub on W2000 it can cause a problem
due to the power on the USB card if you have one of these installed unplug anything connected to it an see if your PC will boot.
I resolved this problem by plugging a spare hub i had and powering it up never had a problem again.

Paisley 14:25 14 Feb 2005

have tried both the options above but still cannot get passed the blue screen.

pk470 19:11 14 Feb 2005

Them i'm sorry to say you will have to reinstall
the OS,W2000 is fine when it is up and running but has many quirks worse in my view than WXP.
The one thing why i stopped using W2000 it stops responding if it does't like a driver on boot up
the tracker bar will keep scanning and won't boot or you will get a blue sceen with errors.

woodchip 19:14 14 Feb 2005

Will it not work just By rerunning Setup from 2K CD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?