Windows 10 - Would like to try out on old, spare PC - advice please

AroundAgain 16:00 19 Jan 2015

Hi

I've acquired an old PC and I'm hoping I can run Windows 10 on this, but I'm doubtful that it is high enough spec, so I would appreciate some advice from any of you who have tried this, please

**Spec for old PC - AMD Athlon 3gHz, 1Gb RAM, 20Gb HDD Running XP**

I have two 'old' HDD, one is 40Gb, other is 80Gb, so may be useful (assuming they still work)

Needless to say, I'm not prepared to use my main PC but might consider 'virtual' OS if you guys have experience of this and are confident there is no issue.

So, what I'm asking is "Is this a possible project or a non-starter, with the 'old' PC as mentioned above?

Many thanks for your help. As always, it's much appreciated. I look forward to hearing your opinions ;) Cheers

rdave13 16:36 19 Jan 2015

Info here. It should run the 32-bit version ok. I would use the 40 GB drive though.

AroundAgain 16:56 19 Jan 2015

Thanks for your reassurance, rdave.

I'll continue reading etc and then, once I've got the time needed, I'll see about giving it a go.

Nothing to lose, seeing as I haven't had to pay out anything for the 'old' PC :)

Jock1e, yes, it will be interesting to see how much it will cost for the new Windows 10 OS. Hopefully, minimal ;) In the meantime, what I'm hoping to 'play' with is the early build that MS have released for those who wish to see how it might appear, although not in final build as yet. It also provides opportunity to feed back what's not liked etc. So, not the full OS that perhaps you were thinking of ;)

Thanks for this. All food for thought etc :)

rdave13 17:12 19 Jan 2015

Download links and key. As it's an old machine I would think it's 32-bit.

AroundAgain 17:23 19 Jan 2015

Ha Ha - I doubt 64-bit was invented when this PC was built ;) !!! Only joking! Yes, rdave, too old and basic for a 64-bit!

Thanks for the links

Procrastinus 09:27 21 Jan 2015

I have Win 10 Tech Preview 32-bit running on a Dell D610 laptop (P4M, 2GB RAM, 20GB HDD. Runs fine, but HDD fairly full with the OS, so suggest increase your RAM and use at last 4oGB HDD.

AroundAgain 20:01 21 Jan 2015

Procrastinus Thanks for this

I'm hoping one of my old drives will work, 40Gb and 80Gb

I'll wait and see re increasing RAM as yet. If Win 10 that I download runs, I may increase it, or I'll keep an eye out for a better 'old' machine rather than put money into it. Have to say, Freecycle is a good source for things as long as happy to wait for them to come up ;)

I haven't been able to do anything about downloading Win 10 Tech Preview as yet. Hopefully, sometime soon :)

Jollyjohn 15:57 22 Jan 2015

Hi

In your original post you mentioned "virtual OS" I can recommend the use of VirtualBox for running alternative operating systems on a single PC.

I run a Linux box for day to day use but have WXP, home & pro, Vista and W7 all installed on Virtualbox, I just double click on the desktop shortcut and allow windows to boot.
Hardware testing is also possible - I just installed a tp link wireless dongle onto XP - just to check out the drivers it needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?