Window XP SP3

mnopq 20:10 14 Jul 2008

I have my computer set to automatically download windows updates, which I then install, the latest were only a few days ago. I looked in Control Panel/System and it indicates that I have XP version SP2. I understand from the MS website that SP3 will download automatically - how can I find out if SP3 is in fact installed.

cocteau48 20:25 14 Jul 2008

Control Panel/System ..... and all will be revealed.

cocteau48 20:26 14 Jul 2008

...sorry ...Control Panel/System/General tab

iscanut 20:26 14 Jul 2008

You nhave already looked in the right place. If it shows SP2, then that is what you are running.

Clapton is God 21:03 14 Jul 2008

Or go to the Windows Update site and you'll be offered it to 'manually' download

conrail 07:59 15 Jul 2008

hi guys, I have hears good and bad things about sp3, even reading the forums here dosn't make it clear about downloading yas/no, so what do people suggest? thanks

john bunyan 09:45 15 Jul 2008

mnopq, conrail. I had problems with auto install SP3 - I have XP plus MCE and the TV stopped. To cut a long story short, I suspect that my AVG 8 or Commodo corrupted some files. I am sure SP3 is worth having but I suggest the following procedure, which worked even if long winded. Download SP3 from MS SP3 site for developers , to desktop but dont install. Download your latest Virus and firewall programmes to desktop, dont install. Disconnect from internet. Uninstall virus and firewall. Restart in safe mode, install SP3. Restart, install virus and firewall from desktop, restart, reconnect to Internet and run updates.

conrail 11:34 15 Jul 2008

thanks john bunyan, I will consider that, appreciate your quick responce

n4165si 12:49 15 Jul 2008

conrail
I also had sp3 in my windows update for some time ,debating whether or not it was worth installing, but i thought in the end why not and went for it, the update started and then it offered to let the wizard take over and install it, i did not stop Avg 8 or stop windows Firewall, it took about half an hour and went in with no trouble, restarted the computer and all was okay, personally i cannot say there is any difference that i can detect. I have an Amd chip which windows state there may be a problem with ,but i didn't

kalignorgna 13:46 15 Jul 2008

it is avialible to down load from microsoft windows update but not as a auto install as yet. if u run the update it will ask u if u whant SP3 you can click yes or continue to other updates this option alone sujests that it will not install automaticlley

clock 14:47 15 Jul 2008

Afternoon mnopq,

Like you I was deterred from loading Windows SP3 because of all the problems. However a few days ago I went ahead and downloaded and installed manually from the Microsoft Web page. The Wizard popped up and took over the installation and I didn't/haven't had any problems, in fact, like n4165si, I can't detect any differences. So I say go ahead and good luck!

Clock

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone