Window xp licence key

pj1664 20:16 04 Sep 2007

Does anyone know where I could find a xp home edition sp2 licence key? I have the xp cd but dont actually have a licence key for a new installation and also how much should I pay for licence key on its own?

Technotiger 20:42 04 Sep 2007

Best to phone Microsoft and ask ...

click here

birdface 08:31 05 Sep 2007

Now if you have bought the computer 2nd hand or from New,Usually on the side of the computer you will find a Microsoft COA sticker with the Key code on it,But the disc you have would need to be the same as what was originally installed.If you have both Key Code and proper XP disc I see no reason why you can't use XP disc to install it on your computer.Or shop around google it,You can get them on E-Bay fairly cheap but you have to make sure that you buy from a reputable dealer.

pj1664 15:28 05 Sep 2007

I was given this pc witn no OS installed so I was going to install my existing xp cd on but with a new key. I will look into both the suggestions but I have a feeling Microsoft is going to be expensive (Rip of Britain)yet thet can sell the same product in dollars at same price tag.

ventanas 15:34 05 Sep 2007

Assuming your existing XP CD is a retail version (not OEM) and is not installed on any other machine then you should have no problem with Microsoft. If it is OEM, or is installed on another machine then you have no alternative but to buy a new full retail version. You will not be able to acquire a key from Microsoft. The Microsoft licence agreement is very clear on these points. A key acquired anywhere else would not be legal and would probably fail the Microsoft validation process.

woodchip 15:34 05 Sep 2007

you cannot use it on two computers, unless you remove it from the other one, you cannot install it

griffon56 16:34 05 Sep 2007

Hi pjl664,

I can't remember where I got it but there is a program called keyfinder.exe which I downloaded from somewhere, which finds the key on your machine which was used to validate the first loading of your OS.

If you use the original retail WIN XP CD to reload or repair your OS you can re-use this key to proceed with software reactivation. It permits the loading process to show a Microsoft 0800 phone number through which an automated procedure generates a 36 digit number in blocks of 6 which reactivates your re-loaded OS.

I've just recently done this on a computer to which I fitted a new mobo after a failure.

If you haven't got a retail XP CD I think you are stuck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?