window xp home edition or xp profesional

User-D71D889C-6AFC-4960-9B24C8CE67EBD244 14:24 12 Jan 2004

which ones the best? at the moment ive got xp home but no serial no with this one. when i get which ever one i decide do i have too re format my hdd first before installing either? thanks for all yr advice

Diodorus Siculus 14:46 12 Jan 2004

Stick with XP home; do a format (not strictly necessary) and install a legit version. That way you should have no problems.

Jester2K 14:47 12 Jan 2004

Take it back and get one that does....

holly polly 15:49 12 Jan 2004

its ok if you can install xp on your comp ,tried on mine no joy
click here
nice clean new edition of xp pro and unable to use it ,me runs fine though ,perhaps i'll get to use xp when i change the mobo or major upgrade -not unless any boff can convince me to have another go with this comp on xp pro ?-regards-hol pol...

Stuartli 15:55 12 Jan 2004

There are numerous threads on this very question in the forum - a Search will bring up all you require.

chrisinireland 17:43 12 Jan 2004

well there isnt really n e point of waiting that long landy man, he need the os now lol, id say stick with windows xp there is alot more compatability and its alot more stablem if ur into making dvds or playing games.

chrisinireland 17:46 12 Jan 2004

i meant stick with xp pro sorry

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:54 12 Jan 2004

'I really wish I could have 10 minutes of Gates time and introduce him to the real world. It is long overdue that all the goverments in this world banded together and crushed Microsoft. Let's give some new, competative, talent a chance'....of course you have invented a better system that would be used by 95% of all PCs....*sigh* Bit of a gormless statement.

For home users there really is no need to have XP Pro. The differences between home and Pro are mainly network communications and not for just a couple of home computers. I cannot think of any reason for a home user to buy Pro. Buy what you feel is OK for you but most people only use >5% of any programme's capabilities.

G

Forum Editor 17:55 12 Jan 2004

you'll have a job installing the software, and it won't activate anyway.

I recommend XP home if you're a home user with no intention of creating a network, otherwise go for the Pro version.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone