window media centre v windows xp

concretepigsy 15:07 23 Feb 2006

just about to buy my daughter a laptop, and dell have given me the choice of media centre or xp. Any opinions on the best option.

Thanks

Chris

Dellman 15:24 23 Feb 2006

I just got a laptop from Dell.....thought I was getting Media Center as part of the deal I subsequently negotiated with Sales (got it down from £934 (web price) to £710)...and its arrived with only XP Home Edition. Having said that, it comes/came with Dell Media Experience....is this not similar?

Genius1 17:28 23 Feb 2006

Media Centre is a version of Windows XP. Is the other option Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional? What would your daughter be using the laptop for?

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:30 23 Feb 2006

There is nothing necessary in Media centre that is not in XP. It is merely an easier interface to use. Go with the cheaper version or if they are both the same price, take pot luck..

G

realist 18:14 23 Feb 2006

As I understand it XP Media Center is aimed at leisure uses like tv, video and music. I had this dilemma too and decided on XP Home as that's what grandson uses at school.

StainlessStan 19:54 23 Feb 2006

Media Centre is an 'add-on' to XP pro and is an excellent way of using your computer as a TV and PVR. If you don't need this facility, stick with XP home.

concretepigsy 19:58 23 Feb 2006

fantastic thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?