window appears at startup

tomevans00 14:23 15 Sep 2006

whenever i start up windows, i get a blank screen and window pops up with a ok button. sometimes window gives a directory and filename (that changes each time it appears,) somes nothing appears, and often just unicode lettering.

when i click ok, windows is fine and everything is as ususal. it appears to be having no affect at all so i thought it might just disappear but no...it's still there everytime.

any ideas what it could be and how to get rid of it?

i'm running XP SP2

Diemmess 14:31 15 Sep 2006

Is all your AV and anti malware up to date and running?

ArrGee 14:32 15 Sep 2006

Have you taken the usual first route of virus/spyware checks?

ArrGee 14:33 15 Sep 2006

As case of 'great minds think alike' or 'fools seldom differ'!!!

tomevans00 14:40 15 Sep 2006

i use avg, which was updated today. av scan was done this morning and found nothing. s

pybot found a few entries but nothing that has stopped the problem and i'm currently waiting on ad-aware to finish, both of which i updated before running the scans.

Graham. 14:43 15 Sep 2006

Can you do a screenshot for us?

mattyc_92 14:46 15 Sep 2006

As Graham. has requested (also known as a "screendump") will help us to work out the problem

tomevans00 15:26 15 Sep 2006

well i restarted and when it appeared i pushed "print screen" but when i opened photoshop, there was no paste option. same in mspaint. i tried to photo it with my digital camera but really wasn't useful.

this time at start up it said, and i quote "??M"

the ? represent the square unicode symbols.

Gongoozler 16:27 15 Sep 2006

This sort of behaviour often happens as a result of an incomplete installation.

Click Start - Run. Type in msconfig, then click OK. Click on the "Startup" tab. See if there's anything in the list that looks unfamiliar. You can try unticking any suspects, or post a list here and we can look for anything that looks suspicious.

tomevans00 16:32 15 Sep 2006

ok heres what i have running at startup

jusched
avg
atiptaxx
cli
cthelper
rundll32
cfd
zlclient
ituneshelper
tescoip
msnmsgr
ctfmon
ati catalyst system tray

Gongoozler 00:15 16 Sep 2006

They all look fine. I'll see if I can come up with any other ideas in the morning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?