window 7 install problem

Skydiver57 12:18 13 Mar 2010

I am trying to load (upgrade) windows 7. When it checks compatability I get the message; 'unable to determine if bitlock drive encrytion is in use'. My system runs vista premium 64 bit with 4gb mem. Any help will be appreciated.

birdface 13:19 13 Mar 2010

Not sure,
Is it a 64 bit or 32 bit you are trying to install.
Just wondering if you are using a 64 bit on Vista maybe you have to use the same with Windows7.

Skydiver57 13:34 13 Mar 2010

I've got 64 bit vista and am trying to load the 64 bit version.

AlanHo 14:09 13 Mar 2010

To upgrade from Vista 64 bit to Windows 7 64 bit.

If you are upgrading to Windows 7 Home Premium - you have to do a clean install, not an upgrade. You will find instructions via Google on how to use an upgrade disk to do a clean installation

If you are upgrading to Windows 7 professional or ultimate - the upgrade should work Ok.

Zeppelyn 14:34 13 Mar 2010

You can upgrade Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate. Bit locker is only available on ultimate. Which Win7 version are you trying to upgrade to? By the way a clean install is always a much better option.

Skydiver57 14:34 13 Mar 2010

Thanks all

Skydiver57 14:36 13 Mar 2010

I'm trying to upgrade to windows 7 home premium Zeppelyn

Zeppelyn 15:44 13 Mar 2010

Bitlocker is not relevant in that case. Try starting the install from within Vista and select the upgrade option.

AlanHo 22:06 13 Mar 2010

I originally tried to update to Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium from within Vista 64 bit. The installation completed - I thought OK - but the new installation could not be activated with Microsoft.

After further abortive attempts I contacted MS and was advised that it is not possible to upgrade with the Home Premium version - only with professional and ultimate.

I eventually found a way via Google of using the upgrade disk to do a clean installation - which activated OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?