Win98SE - Where do I get the "latest" update now?

chipscan 23:42 10 Feb 2004

I was running a win98SE and while writing some data files to a CD (using Easy CD Creator 3.5) my system crashed and rebooted. I was able to write the CD, and everything looked normal. However, trying to reboot the system now - all it does is hang. I rebooted with bootlog enabled, and the last entry talks about "HTREE/...." I can't find a driver that mentions HTREE, so what options do I have other that a clean install?
Since Microsoft doesn't provide (do they?) updates to win98SE any more - is there an archive that contains all the updates?

(I'm considering a dual-boot win98SE with XP), yet I still would like to "update" all the security holes in win98 while I’m doing this. Oh, and by the way, after getting it stable, using a program like Ghost to BACK IT UP!!!

Any ideas?

DieSse 23:47 10 Feb 2004
  Megatyte 02:13 11 Feb 2004

All the updates that you had for 98 are still available from Micro$oft. If you decide on a clean install you can still update it to what you had. Micro$oft are making no FURTHER updates available for 98.

AH

chipscan 17:10 11 Feb 2004

Thanks for all of the help! I appreciate it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?