WIN98SE - Updates Required

Taff36 08:41 11 May 2004

I know I have seen various threads on this topic but I have searched the postings to no avail. I have just reinstalled Win 98SE from scratch on a computer after a hard disk failure. It only has a 56K modem and I want to create a CD Rom with as many of the critical updates on to transfer to this computer.

The owner wants to connect up to the internet and I`m concerned about the old blaster & Sasser hitting them before the updates are downloaded. There was a thread about an unofficial download termed more like an unofficial Service Pack for 98SE. (Can I Find it - should have bookmarked the thing!)

Diodorus Siculus 08:43 11 May 2004

Don't worry about Blaster - won't affect Win98. Sasser though may be a problem.

If you can wait a day, email me and I will send you a CD with all Win98 updates which I was given by a user of this site.

Diodorus Siculus 08:46 11 May 2004

Just reread you thread...

do you have a BB conection that you can use:

click here
for links to Win98 updates that you can burn to CD.

Stuartli 09:13 11 May 2004

Sasser doesn't affect Windows 98SE, only Windows XP, Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows 2000 SP2, Windows 2000 SP3 and Windows 2000 SP4.

Taff36

The updates can be ordered from Microsoft on CD at:

click here

Diodorus Siculus 09:17 11 May 2004

Stuartli - thanks for that; I didn't know about sasser.

Taff36 09:30 11 May 2004

Excellent Link Diodorus - went to bookmark it and found the bookmark I was looking for! What do you think though click here On thelink you gave me should I download and install the lot?

Stuart Li - Thanks as well. I will order that as well for future use but I want to return the computer this weekend if possible and I doubt if it would arrive in time!

Diodorus Siculus 10:23 11 May 2004

Taff36 - the Exuberant link that you provide is interesting; it might be worth downloading and installing but I cannot be sure as it is an unknown quantity to me.

The MS CD is worth ordering for future reference anyway - it can take a while to arrive.

Stuartli 09:35 12 May 2004

Even owning the Updates CD won't completely solve your problem - later updates will be missing and will obviously have to be downloaded.

But it's a lot easier than downloading the whole caboodle.....:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?