Win98SE Shutdown Problem.

ralph-226856 14:55 26 Aug 2003

I have been attempting to cure a shutdown problem in Win98SE for some weeks now. I am currently trying a tip to check out the BOOTLOG.TXT file entries,however having created the file(I hope) by holding CTRL key during bootup then selecting BOOTLOG and ENTER, then allowing the PC to bootup, I then can't find the BOOTLOG.TXT file that I thought I had created. Can anyone explain how I locate the file. Please make the answer simple.

alcudia 14:58 26 Aug 2003

It should be in the root of your C drive, but it could be hidden. Make sure your view settings are set to show all files.
Also can you let us have more info on the shutdown problem as this was a persistant niggle with '98.

Taff36 15:00 26 Aug 2003

In explorer click on your C drive once just to highlight it. Right click and select search. In the find box type bootlog.txt and if the option is there in Win98SE make sure you select the files and folders options.If there is the option under advanced I suggest you include hidden files and folders too.

Run the search which may take a few minutes and every occurrence of that file should appear if it exists.

You will then be able to see the correct path to that file and even open it by double clicking it from the search results window.

alcudia 15:05 26 Aug 2003

If you have problems shutting down Win98 you could try this. Create a new shortcut on the desktop and in the Target box type C:\Windows\Rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows
Make sure you use the comma before exitwindows and leave a space before exe and user.
In the Start in box type C:\Windows
It's an old fix now, but may work.

alcudia 15:07 26 Aug 2003

Sorry should have read space between exe and user.

ralph-226856 20:19 26 Aug 2003

Many thanks for the tips alcudia,the bootlog file was hidden. I have put the shutdown shortcut on my desktop and have used it to shutdown windows successfully twice. The problem is that the shutdown fault is intermittent. It happens mostly after I've been online, I would estimate that it occurrs 95% of the time I go on line and only very occassionally when I am offline. The fault occurrs after I have clcked on SHUTDOWN then OK, when the screen immediately goes black and stays black.The PC shows a steady green light as does the monitor. There is no response if I press ESC or any other key, and there is no response to CTRL-ALT-DEL. Occassionally there is a single bleep if I press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice but not always. If, after waiting for about 5 minutes I use the restart button and allow a full bootup, then shut the PC down immediately it shuts down ok every time. I have tried most of Microsofts solutions but without success. I will try your desktop shortcut tip for a few days and keep you posted. Many thanks again. rimrim

ralph-226856 20:25 26 Aug 2003

Thanks for leading me to the BOOTLOG.TXT file. It was hidden. I did the recommended Microsoft check on it for Terminate enties but there were none. At least it has eliminated another possible cause of the shut down problem. Thanks again. rimrim

alcudia 08:24 27 Aug 2003

I've had this myself after being online (I freeze at the desktop) but only very rarely. It might be worth checking Task Manager after closing your browser to see if anything is still running, apart from what is normally there, that might prevent a shutdown.

ralph-226856 16:03 28 Aug 2003

I'm delighted to say alcudia that the shutdown shortcut you gave me is working brilliantly. I have been online seven times since I added the shortcut and my PC hasn't hung once yet, although I must say I hold my breath every time I double click the shortcut. I hope I'm not being premature when I say that you looked to have solved the problem. What I'm pleased about is that the shortcut is also a far simpler way of shutting down Windows anyway. I haven't looked in Taskmaster yet, at present I'm just happy that the shutdown bug has gone. What fascinates me about the shortcut is how it works better than Windows own method, and I wonder what the technical reasons are for it working so well. Maybe I'm tempting fate to ponder on that one, but if anyone knows it would be interesting to hear. Once again alcudia many thanks for your help. rimrim.

alcudia 16:08 28 Aug 2003

Glad to be of help. In the days when Win98 was the current version this shortcut was pretty well known because the usual way of shutting down was notorious for not working. It's fortunate that I kept the details. I hope it keeps working.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?