Win98SE error codes

Roystonel 10:35 15 Feb 2006

What is the significance of the following appearing on the startup screen:-
"C:\mod con code page select-850
Device error during select"
I am having difficulty in getting my conputer to recognise new hardware namely CD Recorder.

pj123 10:59 15 Feb 2006

If you have written the error code exactly as it shows then it is an incorrect entry.

It should actually be "mode con codepage select=850"

The easiest way round this is to delete the Autoexec.bat file in windows explorer and reboot your computer. Windows will automatically make another file for you.

In fact Windows doesn't actually need the autoexec.bat at all.

Wak 16:53 15 Feb 2006

Hi I run Win 98SE and if you go to Start/ Run type msconfig in the box, click OK then click the Config.sys tab I find a line saying:-

Country=044,850,C:\Windows\Command\country.sys

The 044 is the Country code i.e. the United Kingdom and the 850 is the code page covering the Multilingual characters for all European and North American countries.

Hope this helps.

woodchip 16:55 15 Feb 2006

In fact Windows doesn't actually need the autoexec.bat at all.?????? It Does in 98se

woodchip 16:58 15 Feb 2006

In fact Windows doesn't actually need the autoexec.bat at all.?????? It Does in 98se

This what it looks like in mine. But it depends on what you have loaded.

@C:\PROGRA~1\INDEFE~1\ACHILL~1\AVCHECK.EXE /sC /tC

rem @LH C:\PROGRA~1\INDEFE~1\ACHILL~1\AVBLOCK.COM

mode con codepage prepare=((850)
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)

mode con codepage select=850

keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

@ECHO OFF

C:\WINDOWS\NoUSB20.EXEPATH C:\BITWARE

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ULEADS~1\MPEG;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ULEADS~1\DVD

pj123 18:00 15 Feb 2006

woodchip, sorry I stick by what I say. I have Win 98SE and have quite often deleted the autoexec.bat.

Your autoexec.bat file means nothing. None of what you have in your autoexec.bat has any effect on your computer operating. You could delete that file and then reboot and your computer would run just the same without it.

Wak 19:08 15 Feb 2006

If I may add my two pennyworth without upsetting anyone?
I believe that the Autoexec.bat and the Config.sys file are required to start running Windows 98SE as they are part of the Windows Start-up disc and are required by DOS so as to install the country codes and lingual requirements, etc. before even the Windows OS is installed.
However, there are also copies of these two files (and possibly others) held in C:\ and it possibly these files which can be deleted without causing any problems.
Maybe someone would care to remove these files from the Start-up disk and see if it still loads up properly????
My above belief could be wrong but if I am correct then both Woodchip and PJ123 are partially correct in their individual statements.
In my own Autoexec.bat file in C:\ it only has the PATH listed (C:\;C:\Windows; etc.) which I believe simply assists Windows to follow the direct routes to quickly find program files and other needed information etc.

I shall now beat a hasty retreat.

Roystonel 09:44 16 Feb 2006

Thanks folks for all your help and comments I will now sit down and digest it all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone