Win98se-can I install aDVD-RW drive

Alan H E 13:02 13 Mar 2005

I used to have a DVD rom drive which I changed to a CD-RW drive. Could I change this for a DVD-RW drive. Only have 128mb at present but would double this at same time. Any advice welcome. Have only the one external bay for the drive.

FelixTCat 14:11 13 Mar 2005

Yes, you can. You could also buy an external DVD writer, for which you would need a USB2 or Firewire conection; in which case you might like to replace your DVD ROM as this will then be more useful.

Totally-braindead 14:18 13 Mar 2005

Just get an internal CDRW/DVD drive that will install and run no problem, you can get them from click here starting at £23.50 plus postage

Alan H E 17:46 13 Mar 2005

Have only Usb 1.1 so would an external DVD writer work or just be toooo slooow.

Diemmess 18:18 13 Mar 2005

Is there no room to install both in the same box?

FelixTCat 19:45 13 Mar 2005

You could get a PCI USB2 card for only a few quid.

However, a good DVD recorder the can play and record every known format only costs ~£40 delivered: click here

The only advantage of an external drive would be to do direct copies. However, if you have about 6 GByte spare on a hard disk, you can copy a disk to the hard drive then burn it back to a blank.

If you want to use DVD-RAM with Win 98 you will have to download a driver, but DVD-RAM is an excellent storage medium.

woodchip 19:59 13 Mar 2005

You are better leaving the CDRW and fit the new drive on new IDE Chanel on the MOBO

Alan H E 23:19 13 Mar 2005

Thanks for the advice will have to think which way to go. Alan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?