Win98se andXp anyone know of a smple way to dual-b

wrinkly 1 23:17 29 Oct 2003

I have installed a new 40gb Hdd and installed Xp on it. the original hdd is a 2o gb with Win 98Se on it. I would be grateful if someone could tell me a"simple" way to arrange a Dual boot system to run either the Xp on the "master" Hdd or the 98Se on the "slave"......Gordon..

gold 47 12:26 30 Oct 2003

Partition your drive into 2x20gb load W98 first then XP keep the file system to FAT32 this is not as good for XP but does save problems when your using a single hard drive it is better in my view than two hard drives.

bruno 13:20 30 Oct 2003

I know that this is not much help to you but...I bought a knew hard drive and installed XP Pro on it, and when I boot up it gives me a choice of booting up in C for 98 or D for XP.I have 30 secs to press enter.I just did a straightforward installation and somewhere along the line there must have been a decision to make.Trouble is I cannot remember when I made it as it is 18 months since I did it.Just writing so that you know it is easily possible(must be easy if I did it).

stlucia 14:07 30 Oct 2003

So long as you have two or more drive letters (either by partitioning, as gold 47 says, or by adding a new drive) it is easy using the XP installation software.

Windows 98 must be installed first, and if it's an upgrade you must have its original full version CD to hand. Then you install XP upgrade version as a "new installation", and you will be asked where you want to put it (onto your second drive) and whether you want to dual-boot with the existing 98.

dazzling 15:36 30 Oct 2003

how did you load them on? which operating system does your computer boot too.if you installed xp second on new hardrive as new instillation it should havegiven you the option to set up a dual boot.darren.

woodchip 15:48 30 Oct 2003

If you upgrade Win98 XP gives the option of dual boot

bruno 20:06 30 Oct 2003

I did a straight instal on a new hard drive and somehow was given the ability to dual boot,but as I said before,I can't remember how.

gold 47 21:02 30 Oct 2003

As i said in my last thread if you partition your hard drive and install as i said you then have the choice of runing XP or W98.
I found having two hard drives a pain i always ended up going into bios first to select the hard drive i wanted to boot first hence why i run just a single hard drive for the two OS systems.

wrinkly 1 23:22 30 Oct 2003

nd try to under stand and impliment your advice.
....thanks again...Gordon..

slysy 23:33 30 Oct 2003

I too bought a new hard drive and clean installed XP home on it, master with 2 partions. Also kept 98 on the old drive, slave, also partioned twice.

I too get a choice of os to boot up.

Sly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?