Win98 SE Overloaded !!!!!

kilted_jockey 22:43 12 Jul 2003

I checked the size of my win folder and to my shock it was 587mb. Surely this cannot be right ? Is there a utilitiy available to erase the duplicate files in this folder?My hard drive is only 1.18gig. Any advice grateful

LastChip 23:24 12 Jul 2003

For a start, you could clean out all your temporary files and see what space this releases.

Go into Windows Explorer and find the Temp file. It will normally be C:\Windows\Temp. Now clear out all the files listed as temporary files (normally with a .tmp extension).

You can also do the same in C\Windows\Internet Logs.

Then do a search for any further temp or tmp files and get rid of those as well.

If no "house-keeping" has been carried out for a while, you will be surprised at how many of these files accumulate, and the amount of space they use.

kimjhon 03:50 13 Jul 2003

My Win 98SE folder is 700MB ( plus about 200 MB of windows own backup .cab files.)
With everything as clean as I can get it.

Valvegrid 07:25 13 Jul 2003

My Win98SE is 262MB. I have installed 98Lite and removed a lot of the rubbish that I don't use like IE5.5.

If you want a good clean-up program try this one:

click here

Paul.

jbaker65 10:38 13 Jul 2003

HI, Easycleaner by ToniArts has served me very well for a couple of years. It's free too!! cheers,John.

kilted_jockey 11:07 13 Jul 2003

thanks for your input guys , will try out the programs mentioned

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?