Win7 swapped my Drive letters over

FearlessFred 23:27 04 Nov 2009

I've got 2 hard drives. Hitherto C was the systems one with all the Programme files etc and D was all my Documents Music, Pictures, technical Drawings etc

I tried to install Win 7 Pro 64 bit and after 2 failed Upgrades (from Vista Business 64 bit) did a clean install but aftewr a day kept getting Blue Screens, despite running Win7 Advisor

Took PC to local techie and when I got it back found D was all my System Files and C was all My Docs etc.

Did an Easy Transfer (saved on an External HDD) from before I tried upgrading.

Now every time I put a new programme on it goes - by default of course - to C/Program Files.

Apart from shooting the techie, what can I do?

Freddie

BurrWalnut 08:37 05 Nov 2009

This is most unsatisfactory because it appears you have bootmgr on drive C and Windows 7 on drive D.

However, you can change a registry key to point to drive D for future program installations:
Click the Windows Orb (Start), type regedit, press Enter and navigate to registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion. In the right pane, right-click ProgramFilesDir and Modify it to D:\Program Files which will put all newly installed programs on the D drive.

FearlessFred 10:26 05 Nov 2009

Well it's all gone down now. Won't boot up - I made a Repair Disc and that doesn't help. All System Restore points gone.

Think will now format Drive C, Clean Install and recover what Docs I can to Drive D (prob most) from my external drive backup.

Suppose I'd better format D too?

Thanks anyway.

I wonder what could've caused it. What a mess and W.O.T.

Freddie

BurrWalnut 14:48 05 Nov 2009

Changing that registry key would not have caused the problems you have cited.

As I said initially, the setup that you were given by your local technician was 'most unsatisfactory'.

I don't know what W.O.T. means!

FearlessFred 16:27 05 Nov 2009

Yes, thanks.

And W.O.T = Waste Of Time!

Freddie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?