Win7 64 bit and broadband

pienter 12:12 09 Oct 2010

I am upgrading my system which is currently WinXP Home with Orange broadband via a Speedtouch modem. The new system is Win7 64 bit for which the modem is incompatible. I have been told that all I need is any make of wireless router. Is that correct as the Sppedtouch came as part of an Orange package? Would I also need to fit a wireless card or could I just use the Ethernet card in the computer as I don't really need a network. Finally if a wireless card is required are there any points to watch for use with a 64 bit system?

jimv7 12:15 09 Oct 2010

Ask Orange for a new router thats compatible with win7 64 bit.

pienter 12:30 09 Oct 2010

Orange only offer a new router as part of a different package which is more expensive than my current one

gengiscant 12:47 09 Oct 2010

I do not use the Bebox that came with my isp.Its just a question of setting up your router with the correct settings for Orange.

From the Orange web site
Router settings
If you choose to use an Ethernet modem / router, the correct connection settings are:

encapsulation:

PPP over ATM

multiplexing method:

VC-Based

virtual circuit:

VPI=0
VCI=38

modulation:

Multi mode

authentication:

CHAP

MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit)

In case of problems with a third party router, change MTU to 1492 (Livebox default setting)

robin_x 13:00 09 Oct 2010

Still might be worth calling Orange. If you don't have months of contract to run. They may offer you one to 'keep' you.

AOL did for me.

robin_x 13:01 09 Oct 2010

(had to commit for a further 18 months)

pienter 09:17 11 Oct 2010

I tried the robinofloxley suggestion and, contrary to what my local Orange dealer had said, they offered a wireless router to replace the Speedtouch free of charge and no obligation to chnage my contract. As I am quite happy with the Orange service this was the perfect solution.

robin_x 12:09 11 Oct 2010

WTG. And I thought Orange were 'baskets'

VCR97 20:29 11 Oct 2010

Orange did the same for me. They supplied a Netgear DGN1000. I connected it to the Ethernet port on the laptop and used the Smart Wizard Setup on the CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone