Win32/Heur Trojan Infection

shazza65 21:07 08 Mar 2011

Hi, I am running Windows 7 and AVG antivirus and Windows own firewall. I always keep my antivirus up-to-date and was shocked tonight to find I have the above infection which seemed to come by way of the Bejewled 2 Deluxe game I downloaded sometime ago from one of the games offered on Hewlet Packard Games website on my laptop.

Does anyone know how to remove it and what the consequences are of having this virus?

Sea Urchin 21:25 08 Mar 2011
  shazza65 21:48 08 Mar 2011

Sea Urchin, I clicked on the link, followed the process and was stumped on the first step. Under my Task Master, Processes, there was no Win32/Heur.exe running. Then I did regedit, located the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software bit and again couldn't find anything with Win32/Heur there. Any thoughts??

MAT ALAN 21:59 08 Mar 2011

click here
could be false positive.
read the link carefully...

Would be interested to know what prog you have on your PC that detected it in the first place...

Sea Urchin 22:03 08 Mar 2011

So how is it appearing in your system - in other words how do you know it is present?

Try downloading and running the trial version of Trojan Remover

click here

and also Hitman Pro

click here

and see what they find - the free versions will only last for 30 days.

shazza65 22:33 08 Mar 2011

It's the AVG antivirus that is showing it when the scan is completed.

MAT ALAN 23:21 08 Mar 2011

AVG should offer you the option to heal or quarantine this object but i still think it is a false positive...

shazza65 19:49 10 Mar 2011

Just to need confirmation of what a false positive is please?

MAT ALAN 20:40 10 Mar 2011

A false positive, also known as a false detection or false alarm, occurs when an antivirus program detects a known virus string in an uninfected file. The file, while not infected with an actual virus, does contain a string of characters that matches a string from an actual virus.

A false positive can also occur when a program performs an action, which appears to the antivirus program to be a virus-like activity.

shazza65 22:41 10 Mar 2011

Many thanks for everyone's help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?