Win32.backdoor???

jonmac 20:35 28 Feb 2009

I have a persistent Security Centre Alert appearing on top of all other windows which tells me that Windows Firewall has blocked some features of this program called Win32.BackDoor-DNM which it says is a trojan that records keystrokes and takes screen shots etc. It then offers to download and activate protection. The only actions it allows are a button labeled "Enable Protection" or the close button at the top right of the box but it comes back after a wee while.
I'm suspicious because I don't have Windows Firewall turned on. I use Zone Alarm and AVG and haven't, to my knowledge suffered any viruses in 12 years, but still the alert returns. I searched the internet for this worm but most of the sites simply offered a download of Spyhunter Spyware detection tool and some dodgy grammar so I'm still suspicious.
I ran an AVG scan of my PC with a clear result (maybe that's fairy obvious)
Can anyone offer advice?

User-1229748 20:38 28 Feb 2009

download update and run malwarebytes and superantispyware in safe modeclick here

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:39 28 Feb 2009

click here will take you through the removal. I have also found superantispyware free version click here to be a bit better than malwarebytes though.

jonmac 21:21 28 Feb 2009

Thanks both, I'll give them a try. Meanwhile I tried a restore to an earlier date but none of them would work...worrying.

jonmac 08:43 01 Mar 2009

Well, so far so good. Used superantispyware free version first but it was the other, malwarebytes, that did the trick even though not in safe-mode. I'll leave it for another day then tick the box.

THANKS smackheadz and GANDALPH, YOU'RE WORTH YOUR WEIGHT IN GOLD.

User-1229748 10:18 01 Mar 2009

no problem,hope it's worked for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?