Win2k pro service pack4 and dial-up connections

3dfx 10:45 21 Aug 2003

Hello people.

Well, after I did battle with the blaster worm and got my system updated, I went to the microsoft update site which scanned for updates automatically. I downloaded most of the security patches, critial updates etc, then started downloading SP4 (I had been running SP2 with 100% stability). After a re-start, the machine would get to the "preparing network connections" or sometimes even the login window, before rebooting. The machine wouldn't go into safe mode either. So... I used the "repair" feature from the original win2k CD. After restarting, I was left with a messy original w2k / sp4 mongrel which thought I had sp4 installed, but was actually running IE5 and wouldn't let me upgrade! What a mess. After a long period of swapping SP2 files over from another machine I got the machine stable again, reporting SP2 installed and with IE6 running. BUT: I have lost my dial-up connection, and cannot add one. The "add connection" wizard either goes round in circles asking me if I'm sure I want to quit the wizard, or complains that the connection name I've just typed is not valid.

I have replaced all of the wizard files in the wizard directory with those from another SP2 machine.

Anyone?
Many thanks.

3dfx 11:12 21 Aug 2003

Some more info from the event log:

The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with the following error:
Access is denied.

Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because it could not create buffers. Restart the computer. Access is denied.

The Point to Point Protocol module C:\WINNT\System32\rastls.dll returned an error while initializing. The network request is not supported.

Ben Avery 11:14 21 Aug 2003

I'm running SP4 on Windows 2k and it works a treat for me?

In fact, since installing SP4, the PC shuts down faster than my 98 machine! Have you got the most up to date drivers?

BA

JoeC 11:29 21 Aug 2003

click here

they say " restart your computer" to fix it ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?