Win2k needed re-installing today ...

Heefie 23:54 28 Nov 2004

One of the little kids got a BSOD whilst using the terribly anarchic NickJr site & one of the bigger ones rebooted & all that ... when I got backhome the PC was dead ... suspicious, but sorted now !!!

I had "No video signal" messages on the screen, so had to reset the BIOS to get back in, & then got NTLDR (I think) missing messages ... I tried repairing, but it didn't work, so I re-installed Windows (2000).

It told me that I already had Windows installed and if I installed on top then I would lose "My Documents", so I changed the folder from WINNT to WIN2K & went ahead ... it did all the usual setting up from the CD but when I re-booted the final time, after removing the CD, everything was back to normal !!!

My C: drive is an S-ATA and that wasn't shown as existing when it told me this, so I put the new installation on what it told me was my C: drive, but is in effect my D: drive ... I now have a WINNT folder on my C: drive & a WINNT and a WIN2K folder on my D: drive ... I have plenty of space, that's not a problem. but it would be nice to know which of these folders is my REAL one g> !!!

Any ideas ?!?!?

Heefie 00:05 29 Nov 2004

... 2 minutes after posting this, and about to ask the first of 2 more questions ... my PC reset itself (it's a video card / driver problem of some kind, I wich I never listened to these people that insist you load the latest drivers <grrr> !!!), and on the restart gave me 2 Win2K startup options.

I chose the first & all the graphics were huge & it went into a Wizard, so I re-started, intending to choose the 2nd option this time & it just booted up perfectly !!! I HATE computer's sometimes <s> !!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?