win2000 won't communicate with printer

headdeball 22:52 03 Jul 2006

Hi
Recently my computer (Win2k) stopped communicating with my Epson stlyus 600.I uninstalled the printer but now when I try to re install it ,I get this message:
"Printer driver cannot be installed.Your Windows system may be abnormal condition.Exit Windows and try again or setup your windows again."
The bad English makes me suspicious.Could this be a virus?

ade.h 13:59 04 Jul 2006

I have seen the occasional typo in an official error message, but nothing as poorly written as that, so I think you may be right to consider malware.

What scanners do you currently use? Ewido? A-squared, etc?

Does Win2000 have System File Checker?

silverous 14:38 04 Jul 2006

...a couple of others have had this message.

I can't imagine any malware would directly target a windows printer installation message in that way. Don't forget a lot of drivers are almost certainly developed abroad and the messages translated so this one may have slipped through.

It sounds like it wasn't fully/properly uninstalled. Is it completely gone from the Printers folder?

Has anything changed on your machine or the way the printer is connected? One of the google entries found when searching for that message suspect a USB hub may be at fault.

I have a rule that if something goes wrong with a PC particularly in terms of software behaviour, usually something has 'changed' or been installed.

ade.h 15:03 04 Jul 2006

I can't imagine it either, but I was under the impression that this was an OS-generated message.

headdeball 17:51 04 Jul 2006

Hi guys.
Thanks for the suggestions.I run Adaware and AVG anti virus.Last week when I switched the computer on I got a msg saying there was no room for a swap file.My 80GB hard drive which previously had 15gb of data on it was full,for no apparent reason ie: I hadn't loaded any new pgms etc.So I used GoBack and went bach 5 days.I don't often use the printer but these problems appesred after the full disk scare and the printer wouldn't work so I uninstalled it .When I tried to re install it I got the dodgy msg.

brundle 17:53 04 Jul 2006

I've never had much faith in Adaware personally, try Ewido as ade.h suggested click here

Diemmess 18:19 04 Jul 2006

I think like the rest that something is gumming up the works and it isn't the printer driver!

Can you find any sign in My Computer of huge files? You can select your HD and rightclick to properties and see what you can see there.

There are always different opinions on what software to detect and clear malware, but you might do worse than start with CCleaner simply to clear 'dead' files out of the way.

silverous 19:07 04 Jul 2006

Sounds like it didn't uninstall correctly:

click here

That should help you fully uninstall, manually.

Could also be that the driver has been 'broken' by some windows updates...seems unlikely though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone