win2000 network problems

crusty 18:33 26 Apr 2008

I am running a dual boot system. Win98SE & Win2000. my onboard network connection has stopped connecting via win2000. when i open internet explorer it looks for a wireless connection (not installed) then says page not found.i installed a separate network card yesterday and started up and was able to connect to internet ok. i shutdown and today restarted and cannot connect again, with win 2000 loking for the wireless connection.
if i boot up into win98 i can still connect to internet straight away so network connections are working ok, and router is ok.
what is win2000 doing? is there a setting that i am missing or do i need to go for a system restore?
any suggestions?
Peter

Ditch999 22:45 26 Apr 2008

"with win 2000 loking for the wireless connection" ? Did you have a wireless adapter installed? There is no WZC in 2000 so the only way it would look for a wireless connection is if someone installed wireless adapter software.

crusty 20:19 27 Apr 2008

i did have a wireless card installed but have removed it. i uninstalled all the software and drivers. i checked through the registry to make sure i had got rid of all traces of the Linksys product.
still having the same problems today!

Ditch999 13:03 29 Apr 2008

Run a registry cleaner. try looking in the services tab of Computer Management to see if a wireless adapter or a Linksys device is listed. If it is set it to Disabled and reboot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?