win xp wont boot

nobbie 19:13 19 Sep 2007

hi all, all of a sudden my comp will not boot up, it keeps on entering setup.. tried booting up in safe mode..no good, changed the boot up device in setup to boot from cd rom , still no good, tried booting up with original win xp disc but just goes straight into setup.. just need a way to get past the first screen which takes me straight to the setup screen...thanks ..

Technotiger 19:17 19 Sep 2007

Try pressing F2 on bootup, or F11 or Del.

F2 should bring up a boot menu, F11 may bring up a setup menu.

birdface 19:21 19 Sep 2007

Does it still bleep when you start it.

nobbie 19:38 19 Sep 2007

yes it does beep when i start it,, dont need to press any keys to get into the setup menu as it automatically goes there..

Technotiger 19:51 19 Sep 2007

Found this using Google, was on a forum talking about exactly the same problem ...

It could be an "Unmountable boot volume". I've done two repairs like this one on windows xp pro and on xp home. You can download the program from microsoft, which when you run the program it makes six floppies that you use to run chkdsk and also repairs the boot.ini file. The boot.ini file is corrupted. Be sure you download the correct program because xp home is different from xp pro, one will not work on the other.

Hope it helps.

nobbie 22:37 19 Sep 2007

i have no floppy drive, so would this work using cd's

nobbie 23:19 19 Sep 2007

when you mentioned a google search...i did one of my own AND sussed out that it is my keyboard that is causing the problem,,,probably acting as if one of the keys is constantly pressed to send me straight into setup menu...thanks for your help...

Technotiger 08:16 20 Sep 2007

Grreat, glad all is ok again - thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone