win XP to win 7 ext hard drive problems

bothy 09:24 11 Oct 2010

I did a click and drag of docs and photos onto a seagate external expansion drive on a laptop with Windows XP. Then tried to open on a machine with Windows 7. Photos accessed but word documents not even listed. Checked on XP machine and all there. Can someone help me to find a way to access my documents?

tks

bothy

gengiscant 11:01 11 Oct 2010

You will need to have whatever office software you use installed on Windows 7 PC to view your docs.

bothy 11:37 11 Oct 2010

Thanks gengiscant. I was using word 2003 on the XP machine when I downloaded to the ext drive. Word 2003 somehow got deleted and I then installed Openoffice. The Win 7 machine has office 2010 installed. Are those two (2003/2010) not compatable? Not sure what to do now!

Tks

bothy

gengiscant 12:06 11 Oct 2010

I think you need this click here

bothy 13:03 11 Oct 2010

Gengiscant. Sorry to be a pain but I downloaded the MS compatability program but still no luck. Not even registering on the list of contents of the drive!
bothy

gengiscant 14:35 11 Oct 2010

Try this click here
and you are not being a pain.

gengiscant 14:38 11 Oct 2010

You could also install Open Office which I believe, will let you open your files.click here

bothy 18:15 11 Oct 2010

This may be a repeat. don't see my earlier reply. Installed writer from open office as suggested but still no luck. Also redid the click and drag with openoffice as the first was done with word 2003 butstill no recognition of the documents. They are definately there as I keep checking on older XP machine!!

bothy

gengiscant 19:12 11 Oct 2010

So,you have dragged and dropped word 2003 documents onto an external drive along with your pictures.
Then you have plugged in your eternal drive to a windows 7 pc and the documents do not show up on the drive.
Am I correct?
Sorry if I am going over old ground, just making sure I am looking to help you in the right way.
Even if you could not open them they should still show up.
Can you try and copying a different way. Make a new folder on the xp pc copy a couple of docs by right clicking then copying them into the new folder, right click then paste. Then do the same with the new folder and copy and paste to the external drive.

Let me know if the windows 7 pc can see the folder and files.

I writing this from my iPod touch so will not be able to reply again today,but will look back tomorrow.

bothy 08:55 12 Oct 2010

Gengiscan.Your summary is correct. As you suggested I used copy and paste into the new folder and onto the external drive and MAGIC it was listed and the docs were readable!! Does that mean I will need to copy and paste each and every document in the same way rather than in a block? Any idea why click and drag won't work in this situation..assuming I am not doing something wrong?

bothy

gengiscant 09:05 12 Oct 2010

You can copy and paste every document the way I suggested all at once, just go to the folder where your docs are, go to the top left hand corner, click on edit/select all, then right click on any blue square and copy then paste onto your external drive.

Difficult to know what you were doing and why it was not working,I am not really sure what you mean by click and drag.

Let me know how you get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone