Win XP uninstall folders

EJ1947 15:07 25 Aug 2005

Hi, I have about 50 folders in c:\windows with headings like $NtUninstallKB823559$ or similar which I presume have been put there during windows update.
Can these be deleted or must they remain?
Running XP home. SP1.
Thanks.

Jackcoms 15:16 25 Aug 2005

Leave them alone. By deleting them you may cause Windows to malfunction.

Oh, and by the way, isn't it time to install SP2 ?? ;-)

EJ1947 15:21 25 Aug 2005

Thanks for info. I suppose I should update to SP2 -- next rainy day!!

Jackcoms 15:25 25 Aug 2005

Just had torrential rain and thunder storm here in Sussex.

Be off with you to the Windows update site!

BurrWalnut 15:28 25 Aug 2005

I would delete them as they are only required in the event that you want to uninstall a fix.

Ordinarily I delete them once the download has been behaving itself for about a week or 2.

They will appear in Add/Remove Programs but just click on them and the entries will be removed.

EJ1947 15:42 25 Aug 2005

Confused now !!! Jackcoms says leave and Burrwalnut advises delete. A third opinion may swing it.
Also the actual updates do appear in add/remove but I thought they must not be deleted. I am only concerned about the uninstall folders in explorer.

PS Jackcoms - just started raining here so no excuse now.

VoG II 15:46 25 Aug 2005

You can delete them but if you do then you won't be able to uninstall the corresponding Windows Updates.

Personally I keep them.

BurrWalnut 15:49 25 Aug 2005

You can delete them but have a look at the dates so you don't remove recent ones (which I doubt as you're running SP1).

If you're concerned about removing them, copy them to a CD-R before deleting them.

BurrWalnut 15:49 25 Aug 2005

You can delete them but have a look at the dates so you don't remove recent ones (which I doubt as you're running SP1).

If you're concerned about removing them, copy them to a CD-R before deleting them.

BurrWalnut 15:54 25 Aug 2005

Double post - sorry, refreshed after an error.

Just to explain further:-

1. Delete the folders in Explorer.

2. Go to Add/Remove Progs (tick show updates) and click on one that you have deleted. Windows will recognise that it has been deleted and allow you to remove it from Add/Remove.

EJ1947 15:56 25 Aug 2005

Thanks - good idea - i will put them onto CD just in case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone