win xp system log on not available

unclebuck 12:48 10 Jan 2006

help after switching on my pc the the user log on screen comes on and askes for my password when i type it in and hit enter it gives ane error message system cannot log on now because the domain bill-vsqutrj is not available
i have tried changing the name of the pc and its the same
i have also tried adding a new user with adninistrater settings still the same i can boot to safe mode
can anyone help please

djwheeler 13:32 10 Jan 2006

Do you get a logon screen asking for a Username, Password and Domain Name? If so where you enter the domain name should be a drop down box and you should be able to choose the name of the PC from the drop down list.

djwheeler 13:32 10 Jan 2006

Do you get a logon screen asking for a Username, Password and Domain Name? If so where you enter the domain name should be a drop down box and you should be able to choose the name of the PC from the drop down list.

unclebuck 19:49 12 Jan 2006

the user screen allows me to put in my password then i get the error message domain not available

catherious 10:37 14 Jun 2006

I have the very same problem. I have done as "unclebuck" has without success. When I changed the PC name, the only difference it appeared to make was allowing me to check "My Profiles" in user account properties (through Computer Management) which was initially unavailable - error message stating Workstation was not switched on/active. I was not able to turn Workstation on but it occured automatically when I changed PC name.

I have checked computer name through properties oand checked that it is using Workgroup, not Domain.

The logon screen that appears does not ask for a Domain name, just a password. It continues to say "The system cannot log you on now because the domain () is not available. I have not given any instruction to use the pc as a domain or server.

I was advised that this may be a network issue but cannot resolve. I have never used this PC as part of a network. HELP!!

unclebuck 21:05 14 Jun 2006

hi
i am still haveing that problem
the way i solved it was to reinstall xp
but when asked where to it instead of the default windows folder
i created windows1 and loaded it
every thing works ok but u have to create new desktop icons for ur programs
i only did it this way because i had a lot of pictures and data i didnt want to lose by formating my h/d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?