Win XP, system error records, ACPI BIOS

instant^mash 02:50 15 Jan 2003
  instant^mash 02:50 15 Jan 2003

Maybe this has been done to death in another thread, but ever since I bought my PC I have received these error messages ( to no discernable ill-effect )on every boot.

AMLI : ACPI BIOS is attempting to read/write from an illegal I/O address (0x071) which lies in the 0x070 - 0x071 protected address range.

Has anyone experienced and/or resolved this?

:)TC

AndySD 03:03 15 Jan 2003

This behavior can occur if your computer's basic input/output system (BIOS) attempts to write to a port in AML [Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) Machine Language]. This attempt causes Microsoft Windows XP to prevent any access to that port. This feature has been designed to improve the stability of your computer's operating system.

To resolve this issue, contact your BIOS manufacturer for a BIOS update.

instant^mash 03:15 15 Jan 2003

Thanks AndySD...a BIOS update, hmmm!

I think I'll continue to put up with the error msgs for now (my BIOS is phoenix version 6,and it has no recovery feature for a bad flash.)

AndySD 03:26 15 Jan 2003

I agree its not worth it for this. Its to do with the advanced power management feature you can go to the Device Manager and disable the Microsoft acpi system and see if you still get errors. Or just leave it as it is.

Hitman codename 47 08:38 15 Jan 2003

Go to microsoft.com and download their 6/7 floppy start up disk or if not make a 98 start up disk from your operating system.

to flash the bios is easy.

all you must!!!!! do is this.

Download the bios upgrade file and unzip it. It will come with an installer program. Put these two files directly onto your c:, so not in a folder.

write down the full file name on a bit of paper and the installer name

Make a start up disk (win 98) etc.

Get to the a: prompt.

type the name of the installer program

so 1st type c:
then type

installer

so it looks like

c:\installer

press enter,

then the installer program will ask you what you want to do. Just find the area that lets you flsah and upgrade the bios. in the box type the location of the bios flash file

example

c:\biosfile.dat etc

then it will flash the bios. make sure you press and do nothing until it finishes.

Then usually use the flash program to reboot the pc.

Straight away go into the bios at start up and just select the "default bios settings" button and save and restart. Then go back into the bios and set your clock multipliers and boot up sequence again.

Then the bios will be done.

Whatever you do, do not !!!!!!! run either the bios program or the bios flash file from a floppy. do that bit from the hard drive.

Instructions will come with the flash file.

Take your time.

If you are not entirely sure what your board is, use this program which runs once it has been unzipped. Navigate to the motherboard bit, it will tell you everything you need to know.

click here

good luck

instant^mash 12:18 15 Jan 2003

Thanks for the replies guys - your right HCN47 it is XP, I stated this in the thread title!:)

I'm gonna go with Andy on this one, the only problems I've been having have been gfx driver related soooo.... I'm a cautious kinda guy + I havn't the dosh to replace parts if anything did go belly up.

I suppose I was more interested to find out if anyone else has had similar messages and if so did it give them grief.

For the record -

win XP
P4 1.5 williamette
intel i845 sdram
Trigem Dublin mobo
abit siluro ti4200 x 41.03
ntl 128 service

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?