Win XP Startup Fails

Mo H 21:34 25 May 2004

I have just moved my PC to another Case and swapped MOtherboards. Now when I power up the checks are there and when it tries to load windows xp a blue screen flashes on very briefly and the pc reboots itself. I get the option to start in safe mode but that also fails and it reboots. Any ideas Please

VoG II 21:37 25 May 2004

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery click Settings. Under System Failure untick the box in front of Automatically restart.

The next time you should see the full error message - post it here.

Mo H 21:39 25 May 2004

VoG,

Windows will not load so I cannot get to 'My Computer'

woodchip 21:43 25 May 2004

Mo H cannot get into windows to do anything.

Only thing I can think is start with XP cd and do a repair

PSF 21:44 25 May 2004

As you have changed the motherboard the hard drive still has the old motherboard drivers on it.

It would be best to do a system repair.

Set the bios to boot from cd, insert your XP cd and reboot. Follow instructions to install XP and then choose the 'R' option to do a system repair.

Mo H 21:54 25 May 2004

i have booted from cd and entered System Repair.Chose Item 1 (C:\Windows) Entered password and now what all i have is some dos commands. Have done chkdsk and it seems ok

VoG II 21:56 25 May 2004

Boot from the Windows XP CD.

Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

Mo H 22:18 25 May 2004

Tried what you said VoG but to no avail. Am now doing a full reinstall. I have a full licensed version of WIndows XP Pro and not a recovery disk (OEM?).

Fingers crossed it will work.

Will keep post updated

Thanks so far to all

VoG II 22:22 25 May 2004

Everything crossed here. What didn't work? (for future reference).

Mo H 22:26 25 May 2004

pressed R key and all i could do was enter one of about 100 dos commands and chkdsk /p showed errors on hdd. apart form that pc just stopped and would not accept a dos command after the first one. do u understand that?

VoG II 22:28 25 May 2004

Nope. It should just churn away and effectively reinstall Windows over the top. Ho Hum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?