Win XP Software Counterfeiting message

blazon 82 11:30 02 Jan 2014
Answered

I have been using the same copy of Win XP Professional for 2 years, I have the original disc with the product key. I have now received a message that " You may be a victim of software counterfeiting, this copy of Windows did not pass windows validation" I have tried to run the validation process, but this says I need to instal a pluginin to Firefox, when I try to do this it says the plugin is already installed. I have tried to phone Microsoft but could not get to speak to a human. Has anyone an answer to this or a phone number where I can speak to a person

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:37 02 Jan 2014

Change KEY

Changing the Windows XP product key may be necessary if you discover your current key is pirated or illegal but you don't want to reinstall Windows XP to activate your new legal key.

Changes to the registry are made in these steps. Take great care in making only the changes described below.

1. Click on Start and then Run.
  2. In the text box in the Run window, type regedit and click OK. This will open the Registry Editor program.
  3. Locate the HKEYLOCALMACHINE folder under My Computer and click on the (+) sign next the folder name to expand the folder.
  4. Continue to expand folders until you reach the HKEYLOCALMACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents registry key.
  5. Click on the WPAEvents folder.
  6. In the results that appear in the window on the right, locate OOBETimer.
  7. Right-click on the OOBETimer entry and choose Modify from the resulting menu.
  8. Change at least one digit in the Value data text box and click OK. This will deactivate Windows XP.
  9. Click on Start and then Run.
  10. In the text box in the Run window, type the following command and click OK.

%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

1. When the Windows Product Activation window appears, choose Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows and then click Next.
  2. Click Change Product Key.
  3. Type your new, valid Windows XP product key in the New key text boxes and then click Update.
  4. If you're taken back to the previous screen and prompted, choose Remind me later.
  5. Restart your PC.
  lotvic 11:45 02 Jan 2014

Instead of Firefox, use Internet Explorer to run the validation process.

blazon 82 13:22 12 Jan 2014
Answer

My apologies I forgot to say thanks for the suggestions, both very helpful

bumpkin 15:07 12 Jan 2014

For future reference for yourself or anyone else I have found that this number gets you to a person eventually 0844 800 2400 (Microsoft, Reading, UK)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?