Win XP in Shutdown loop

She 20:44 13 Jan 2008

I have a problem in that every time I try to shutdown my computer it restarted itself. Having just received the March edition of PC Advisor Page 145 tells me that I should disable Automatic Restart and I have done this. Now I get a blue screen with the following information:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
Stop: 0x0000000A
(0x000002CC, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x804E35E9).

I am reasonably computer literate but have no idea what these numbers mean.
As an added point I noticed on one shutdown attempt, CCSvcHst.exe would not respond and on another attempt CCApp was not responding. Now from the Processlibrary.com (as in "Mystery Task" page 148 March edition PC Advisor) I have ascertained that these two processess have something to do with Norton (I have Norton 360). However I have been into the Norton Support and they can find no problem with my installation.
Any of you gurus or geeks have any ideas that may help me.
Thank you in advance

woodchip 20:49 13 Jan 2008

Have you tried Starting the Computer while holding the shift key down?

She 21:10 13 Jan 2008

Thanks Woodchip.
I have just done that on receipt of your response. Unfortuntately I still get the blue screen and IRQL message etc. when I try to shutdown. The message also says to make sure new hardware or software has been installed correctly - but I haven't installed anything except Windows Updates and Norton Updates since November and this problem only reared its ugly head last week !

Technotiger 21:27 13 Jan 2008

You could try a System Restore back to before this started happening.

She 21:53 13 Jan 2008

I have tried System Restore on many occasions in the past when an installation has not gone according to plan and unfortunately it has never worked. I tried it again with themy current problem and it doesn't work. i just get the message "Unable to restore to.... No changes have been made to your computer"

Technotiger 21:57 13 Jan 2008

Have you been choosing Restore dates that are shown in Bold print, the normal print dates are not restore points.

VoG II 22:01 13 Jan 2008
  She 22:25 13 Jan 2008

Thanks Technotiger and yes I do click on the BOLD dates.

VoG™, Many thanks for your input. I shall print out the Troubleshooting info you have pointed me to and treat it as bedtime reading! Then instigate any suggestions it makes either tomorrow or Tuesday and come back to my thread when I have done it.

She 23:27 16 Jan 2008

VoG™. Sorry so long to get back to you. Time is not on my side at the moment. I read all the info you pointed at and tried a Windows Repair. I ended up reinstalling XP Pro, which meant reinstalling SP 2 and all the updates. In addition I did a Dell Diagnostic run. As one would expect it took a month of Sundays! After all this I still have the same problem!! On one of the MS knowledge bases referring to Stop A Errors, it mentions doing a memory dump and how to do it. So I am wondering whether it is a memory problem rather than a OS problem. However I will not give in and I shall be trawling through the Dell Support as well as Microsoft in the next few days to try and come up with an answer. Your pointer put me in the right direction and I have learned a considerable amount from it. Many thanks.

iarno 11:01 17 Jan 2008

Try this, works a treat and very quick. click here
If you dont like it, uninstall.

I.

She 10:55 04 Feb 2008

Just to let you know the outcome of 2 weeks of frustration. I couldn't reinstall XP properly as SP2 would hang at the same point everytime. Eventually I opened another folder called Windows2 alongside the original Windows folder, installed XPSP1 and SP2 and all the latest updates (four years worth!. I then transferred files and setting using the wizard and reinstalled all the major programmes. When that was all up and running I deleted the original Windows folder. I now a much faster system without the junk built up in the past four years.
Thanks for all suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?