win XP service pack 2 - how do i know if i got it?

McBain 00:02 25 Aug 2004

I have XP and Auto Update is set to receive updates automatically with a request to ask if wish to install

I have noticed in "program add/remove" a few files with SP2 in name which have arrived above other win updates in same list.

I haven't seen anything else.

Are these a few mini ones in preparation for SP2?

I've also gone onto microsoft.com and gone to the updates page and nothing happens either, it just says checking and nowt else.

Is the download one download or several little ones?

If I have partly installed SP2 will it cause a problem if I try to use a CD rom {when available from ms} to install sp32?

many thanks

mcbain

stalion 00:08 25 Aug 2004

what you are looking at in add remove programs are only updates to sp1.you have to sign an end user agreement to install sp2 proper

Djohn 00:10 25 Aug 2004

XP Professional version will be available for auto download later on today. The Home version has been available for several days now but again only through auto update.

The SP2 "Hotfixes" you see at the moment in your control panel, add/remove is normal, I have 5 of them.

When SP2 is downloaded and installed, right click on your My Computer Icon and it will say XP SP2.

If you leave it set to auto download, it will download in one go if you wish or in parts as you go back on the internet. When the full download is complete it will auto install or manual install if that is the way you have it set.

powerless 00:22 25 Aug 2004

When you do have SP2 you will know about it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?