Win XP Reinstallation Problem

babybell 09:16 09 Aug 2006

My PC has finally ground to a halt. First Windows updates stopped working, then internet explorer, yesterday both my modems failed to work and now most programs keep crashing. I have tried sfc /scannow and it would find damaged files and repair them but this would make no difference. I decided last night to reinstall windows. So I booted from CD and ran setup. I was offered a complete reinstalltion or a repair, now as I would like to try and keep my files on my pc i went for a repair. Everything was going well until about 34% (Installing Devices) when nothing happened for a while then a messaged popped up regarding "Intel Extreme Grpahics" and the message said the file could not be found on my CD (Which is a genuine Windows XP Reinstallation CD) so I had to cancel past it and the installation just remained on 34% for about an hour before I gave up. I tried it again and the same thing happened. I was wondering if i should just format the hard-drive and start from scratch but i am concerned that the CD will fail me again and then i will be really stuck. Does anyone have any suggestions. Running a Dell Dimension 2400, 2 years old.

babybell 11:31 09 Aug 2006

bump

babybell 15:36 09 Aug 2006

bump

VoG II 15:38 09 Aug 2006

Try following click here for a repair or click here for a reinstall.

babybell 15:56 09 Aug 2006

Well I am techincally following the repair one it's just not installing correctly. Shall i risk a complete install?

babybell 09:13 10 Aug 2006

Right, I done a complete format and reinstallation which has worked great, like having a new PC. The only problem i have is when the PC is booting, it asks me to select which operating system i want to run and windows XP appears in the list twice, how do i remove the 2nd option?

VoG II 09:19 10 Aug 2006

Edit boot.ini click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?